Thursday, July 10, 2014

The stranger who offered me her home


A stranger heard I'm looking for housing and contacted me on Facebook: "Did you find a place to stay? I have a home near UBC. It's a 5 bedrooms." she wrote. 

"How did you hear about me?" I asked.

"On the gift economy group." she answered. "I would normally rent it out, but I'd like to gift it to you. " she said. "What is your name by the way?"

"My name is Brice." I answered.

This person doesn't know me. She has no idea I recently paid a stranger's rent for 1 year. She doesn't know I'm the founder of a non-profit organization, or an entrepreneur, or that I decided to stop buying or selling because I believe our economy is at the root cause of my cancer. All she knows is my health isn't in good condition and I am looking for hospitality.

She genuinely wanted to help me and expected nothing in return.

"Thank you so much Jane. The home may or may not be the right fit," I said, thinking of my many chemical and electromagnetic sensitivities. "but you really touched my heart with your generosity."

Jane Courtney is a registered nurse and alternative healer.

I noticed she charges $100/hr for an individual healing session. But she posted her services on the gift economy group: "Message me if you would like to come and learn release stress from your day." she wrote.

I looked at the price:

$0.

She is gifting her services to 3 people tomorrow. If you're a small business owner, you know it takes a great leap of faith to offer your services as a gift.

Don't take my words for it. Check her post in our group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/307554252727875/

What an incredible person with an amazing heart.

(Feel free to share. It's public. #gifteconomy )

No comments:

Post a Comment